The Markos Vamvakaris Museum started operating in 1995, twenty-three years after that February, when the voice of the rebetiko singing teacher went out in Nikaia – Piraeus.
The idea for its creation was conceived a long time ago, when it was named after a street in Apano Chora and in 1987 it came back to the fore, when the square of the same name was formed with its bust in order to honor the great troubadour and composer, who was born in Ano Syros in 1905 and who became famous both in Greece and abroad with his rebetika songs, especially with “Frangosyriani”.
This is an old two-storey house on the main street of Apano Chora, at 3 Agiou Sebastianou Street, which was restored in order to accommodate the personal belongings of Markos Vamvakaris.
Mark’s friends will find in the Museum, his photos and personal memories, the passport he did not manage to use, his identity, his clothes and shoes (Mark loved shoes – he had about 50 pairs) handwritten texts, the ring and his watch, his tools (pliers, knives, etc.) that he kept when he did not have his bouzouki in his arms, and even some very personal items, which were donated by his family.
The Municipality of Syros Ermoupolis aspires, through the Museum, to make even more known the life and art of Markos Vamvakaris, who present a wonderful field for research and may even shake some easy characterizations such as the “song of the file and prison” And some theories about rebetiko song and its history.
For the Museum’s opening hours and for more information you can call 22813 60914.